Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Top Ten Character Names I Love/Found Unusual
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the fabulous ladies at The Broke and the Bookish. The name of the game is character names! Some are fabulous, some...eh, not so much. Shall we play?
1. Harper. I'm sure several people have encountered this name, but the book I remember it from is SAVING JUNE. I love it when authors pay homage to legendary authors (aka Harper Lee). Love!
2. Charlie/Charley for girls. What can I say? I love boy names for girls. A LITTLE WANTING SONG first made me fall in love with it, and INTO THE DEEP reminded me how much I adore it.
3. Wren for girls, not boys. Though Wren from THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US annoyed me at times, I couldn't help but think about how great her name is. I'd like to change my name, please!
4. Raleigh. Okay, so technically Raleigh is the bad girl in UNTIL IT HURTS TO STOP. Either way, her name has this southern yet unique edge I love.
5. Nastya. Okay, so this goes under the didn't love category. In THE SEA OF TRANQUILITY, it just didn't fit the main character's personality nor looks. Plus, I just think it sounds too similar to the word nasty. How are you suppose to love someone nasty?
6. Kaspar. Kaspar reminds me of Caspar The Ghost. It's hard to swoon over a guy named Kaspar, especially in THE DARK HEROINE- DINNER WITH A VAMPIRE. Boo.
7. Ezra. LOVE this name. It worked so well for the main character in THE BEGINNING OF EVERYTHING. Made me love him even more.
8. Jude. Again, love the boy names for girls. I know I've seen it several times but most recently in THE BOOK OF BROKEN HEARTS.
9. Kaleb. I just don't like it. It kind of sounds like "Kay, love!" which makes me think of a British boy and when the boy turns out not to be British, I end up feeling disappointed. Weird, I know. It doesn't help that I can't stand Kaleb in THOUSAND WORDS.
10. Delilah. Love it. Since I'm a 00s chick (2000s), I automatically think of the Plain White T's song and start to swoon. Such a fabulous name for a protagonist. With a name like that, how could I not pick up FIXING DELILAH?
There you have it! I clearly love more names than hate. What can I say? I guess I'm a lover, not a hater.
What are some of your favorite and least favorite character names?